June 21, 2013

Life at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis: Wild boars and memories of the baby fox


Days are good when emails like this bring back sweet memories of the time as a student.

Salut,

Following the repeated presence of wild boar(s) on the site, an
administrative hunt will be held on Sunday morning.
To avoid accidents, the center will be closed from midnight until
noon on Sunday, June 23rd.
Please do not come to the site during this period (not even by
coming through the Campus).
Thank you and have a nice weekend.

A la suite de la présence répétée de sanglier(s) sur le site, une battue administrative sera organisée dimanche matin.
Pour éviter tout accident, le centre sera fermé de 0 H à midi dimanche 23 juin.
Merci de ne pas venir sur le site pendant cette période (y compris par l'accès Campus).
Cordialement


I have never come face-to-face with a boar on campus, though I have heard twigs and dried leaves being stomped upon in the bushes near the campus.
My only face-to-face encounter with a wild animal was in late 2009 or early 2010 with a baby fox. The fox was apparently scarred of me and my clumsy feud with my umbrella -- fluttering wildly with the noisy wind --  while I was scarred despite being amazed by the hypnotic sight of its magnificent furry tail and the shiny worried eyes. I believe it was crying on being lost as it jumped to hide under the trees and give a timid stare at the student soaked in the rain, a student who could not decide if he should run without the umbrella or keep it in case the mother decided to come out and protect her child.

On the walk back home I only wished that the fox survived the night the rest of the rainy winter at Sophia-Antipolis.

No comments: